Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Slow-Cooker Jambalaya

I found this recipe from American Family. I have made a few changes to fit our tastes.

1 chicken breast
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch slices and browned
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped ( I had peppers from my garden so I did a medley of red, green, and orange peppers)
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix (If you want less kick take this down, it was too spicy for my kids with a whole Tbsp)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 3/4 cups long-grain rice

Cut sausage and brown up in a flying pan and to crock pot. Combine chicken, onion, peppers, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart) slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours (longer if your chicken was frozen).

Add rice; raise heat to high and cook for about another hour or until the rice is done.

No comments: