Friday, December 19, 2008

Anytime of year Salsa

For those who know me well they know I'm kind of a snob when it comes to fresh ingredients. I think it has a lot to do with Romania where you only had fresh available and it makes a HUGE difference in cooking. My friend Tasha brought us this salsa and we all fell in love and I just about fell off my chair when she said it uses canned tomatoes because I never thought salsa like this could come from canned tomatoes (see I told you, I'm an ingredients snob). Its a huge recipe so feel free to cut it in half, but beware it goes fast. My little 2 year old even eats it with a spoon!

6-8 cans diced tomatoes
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 med yellow onion
1 jalapeno seeded
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp mild chili powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice

One of the reasons this is so great is that you are going to use your blender but puree the cans to different consistencies.

Puree in blender 2 cans tomatoes, 1/2 onion, and all other ingredients. It will most likely turn very green. Pour into bowl. Next add two more cans to blender and other half of onion and chop to a medium consistency, pour in bowl. Add last two cans to blender and pulse to leave chunks as big as you like them. If the salsa is to spicy you can add one to two more cans. Mix all together and let sit overnight and then enjoy!

No comments: